Member The Garden Club of America

Our History

First known as “Founders Circle”, Founders was organized in 1927 under the direction of Mrs. Arthur Cummer, president of the Florida State Federation of Garden Clubs. The first president was Mable Ringling (pictured above), wife of circus magnate John Ringling, and the first meeting was held at her winter residence, Ca’d’Zan (House of John).

Founders became a member of Garden Club of America in 1985. An energetic membership has enabled Founders to continue a relationship with Ca’d’Zan by landscaping the approach to the mansion as well as supporting Mable’s Rose Garden. Most recently the club collaborated with the John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art to organize “Ringling In Bloom”, floral interpretations of works from the museum’s collection of art.

Other community projects include support for Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, Historic Spanish Point, the Women’s Resource Center, The Pines of Sarasota and the Bay Preserve at Osprey.

On a more personal note, each December members create individual floral arrangements of boxwood and red carnations that are provided, along with wrapped gifts, to members of Meals On Wheels.

Education, conservation horticulture, floral design and civic projects forms an ongoing focus for Founders as the club meets monthly from October May